Viglinks

Thursday, March 19, 2015

My Thoughts on Fairness and Beauty



To start with I must point out that, I lay no stress on this aspect. But I am intrigued with girls who have a darkie complexion wanting to become fairer. Cashing in on this desire the market is flooded with creams that promise a girl become fairer in as less as 4 weeks. Whether these creams work or not, is another point, but millions buy them. In particular the slightly darker girls from South India buy these creams the most. Do they really work? Secondly why do girls use these creams? A small trivia may interest some people that in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu fairness creams sell more than coca cola. Many dark Tamil girls will prefer Punjabi boys who are light skinned and fair as lovers and husbands. This is the reverse color bar. I just can’t explain it. Isn’t this a surprise?.

 

I think the problem lies in our upbringing. Firstly white is associated with beauty and purity and black with bad and evil. I wonder how this concept arose. All the fairy tales from the saga of the Mahabharata to Snow White and Seven  Dwarfs extol the virtues of fairness. I wonder how this happened. One has to go to Africa to realize this fact. The sad part is that when I visited Africa, there also the slightly lighter skinned negro girls were thought to be more beautiful

 

I don't think much can be done about it as these concepts are too deeply rooted in human psyche. Look at the segregation of the Negro by the white in the USA and the Indian matrimonial sites, where everybody wants a fair bride. Where will the darker girls go ?  The recent ruckus created in Parliament by the JD(U) leader Sharad Yadav where he pointed out that color bar exists in India is not far from truth. Even his daughter agreed that a dark girl finds it difficult to get a match compared to a fair complexion girl.

But I do hope that this concept will fade away. I am sure it will though it may take 500 years.




No comments:

Post a Comment