Viglinks

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Molly, My Dream from "Ulysses" by James Joyce

Molly Voluptuous and Sexy Book Ulysses

 Years back, I tried to read James Joyce’s masterpiece “Ulysses”. I never got beyond the first chapter as the book I thought was too complex. I however jumped to the last page and read the following lines “He asked me would I say yes to day yes my mountain flower and first put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breast all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will yes”. These lines kindled my interest in the book and slowly I read the novel. It’s a massive work consisting of 18 distinct episodes spread core 265,000 words. Later I could appreciate that the novel certainly deserves a high place in English literature. Some critics place it at number one in the list of 100 great books in English during the last century.

It is the character of Molly that fascinates me. The novel recounts one day in the life of the protagonist Leopold Bloom on 16 June 1904. It requires a genius to write a book of this massive size describing just one day. Molly is a woman who enjoys life. She is married but looks forward to sex with her lover. Somehow I have always dream't of a woman like Molly, voluptuous and a go getter. The Irish and the English banned the book, for using and describing offensive human actions. But now the Irish try and sell him as a tourist attraction. I visited Dublin in 2008 and there were walking tours to all the places mentioned in the novel, in particular the pubs where the protagonists sat and drank. I am told a bank note was also issued in his honor. Even his house is preserved as a museum.
But Molly is one of the great characters of English literature. The book is difficult to read and to some it appears disjointed. Perhaps James Joyce wanted it that way. In case people have the time they must sit and read this great masterpiece. It will take you some time and perseverance and hopefully somebody will agree with me about Molly.

No comments:

Post a Comment