Viglinks

Monday, April 14, 2014

A Soldier Must Be Honored

Some months back I was travelling by car from Bangalore to Chennai. On the way I stopped at a small South Indian restaurant . I had stopped at a roadside cafe or as in the north we say a Dhaba. As, I ordered a dosa and sat down to eat a man limped in with a walking stick. It was obvious he had an injured leg or perhaps an artificial one which gave him a permanent disability. He had a regal bearing and his gait was steady and I realized this man at some stage had worn the uniform. The man sat in a corner and quietly order his dosa and ate it . He never spoke to anyone or looked at anyone either as he sat in his corner. After some time I heard him ask for the bill. That was the time a small boy ventured up to the man and asked him " Sir how did you injure your leg”. That is the first time the man smiled as he replied so softly, yet all present heard it “son, I lost it in the battle at Jaffna".
The waiter and the owner also heard it and the hotel owner came up and told the man " Sir, there is no bill for you. You gave your leg for the country. Allow us at least to give a free meal". “This " he went on to add "is not charity, but a duty, please let me do my duty as per the Gita" The man finished his meal. There was a regal gait as he walked to the manager at the counter 'Thank you my friend, for the offer, but I will pay". He paid and walked off. This man for me was the real hero. I was glad he had conducted himself with dignity as befitting a soldier and gladder still that in a remote corner of Tamil Nadu people understood the value of a soldier, a veteran who had served the nation. I wondered who this man was and which regiment he had served. I wanted to talk to him, but ere I came out the man had gone. I scanned the horizon and could see no one. I drove away with regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment