Viglinks

Saturday, September 24, 2011

My Tribute to Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi











 I was perhaps in high school, when I was privileged to watch Pataudi hit 203 not out against the MCC. at Delhi. I remember it was the last day of the test match and Tiger( as he was popularly known) started the day at 31 not out. Accompanying me were two of my friends Prabhjot Singh and Jasbir. Haven't heard of them after  schooldays. I remember Pataudi hooking and driving the English bowlers and he had reached 199 with an over to go. The English captain had placed all his fielders to deny Pataudi that one run,. The bowler if I remember correctly was Barry knight. Pataudi drove him for 4 and that was that, he had reached a double hundred.
Over the years cricketers have come and gone, but none had the stamp of class like Pataudi. He was a nawab in the real sense. He  was in addition a tiger on the field a superb fielder and India's best captain  ever. How many know that India started winning for the first time under him ?
 Pataudi is an immortal and for us schoolboys he was a hero. I remember Prabhjot asking '' Arre Yaar( friend), how can he bat with one eye? I can't even copy properly in a class test with two eyes"




No comments:

Post a Comment