Viglinks

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Last Mission over Kargil and the grand Finale : A Golden Girl in Bed

Many friends have asked me to write a memoir. Perhaps one day I will, like Nirad Chaudhury. His book “ Autobiography of an Unknown Indian” made him famous. I rarely write of my battle experiences though I have mentioned fleetingly of women in my life. In particular, fair and glowing goddesses who along with the Mach II planes had been my world for long. In 1998 I had put in my papers and the ‘old foggie” had promised to follow them up. I was staying in the DSOI with my American Captain Gal who was on furlough leave. The old foggie rang me up and as usual he was terse and to the point
“Look MG, “ he said” I am holding up your release, so within 3 hours fly to Srinagar and take command of the MIG s squadron”. That was it, an order to be obeyed. The phone rang again. “Hello, he said “ I suppose the lady captain is still with you , take her as well as she is the LO of the USAF now.. I have rung up the AOC to hook you a nice pad in the Badami Baug mess. I told S.. about the conversation and she was delighted. “Yes, “ she said “I am your new LO now, but how did the old man know?” I reached Srinagar and took command of the squadron. There was a furious battle raging between the Indian army and the Pakistan Northern Light infantry. The enemy had the advantage as he had the heights and an airstrike was called for.
I made the battle plan and we took off at first light. The plan envisaged me and my buddy to face the x15 in aerial combat while the rest attacked in ground support role. Beating the PAF in the air was of paramount importance as then only the ground support role would work. I was up and then saw the X15 coming. The adrenal rushed to my brain. We dogged each other and then I realized the man facing me was also an ace. We both fired and missed. I then did a long loop and came diving at 2.5 mach. I had a 2 second view of him and I fired. I hit him and I saw the smoke arise. The X15 was on fire. I saw an ejection and soon a parachute opened. I was glad the pilot was saved. I slowed down and circled the parachute and like a true soldier he held up his thumb, signaling he had lost and I had won.
I landed back and learnt that the Indian army had taken the heights thanks to my boys who had opened unfettered fire in ground support. I reached the mess and rushed into Captain S arms. Yes she was the second adrenal now though 20 years younger. I also received a call from the old foggie “ well done “ he said” the man who opposed you was Wg Cdr K….. You know he was the topmost ace of the PAF”. The waiter knocked and as he entered he carried a gift hamper from the old foggie, now a Marshal. I was expecting it. A bottle of the rarest Scotch “Royal Salute:” There was a tongue in cheek message” Hope it helps you to perform better”. After that it was my private moment of bliss. Anything better than a combat at Mach 2.5 and good scotch whiskey and kebabs with a lovely golden girl in your arms? What do my readers think?

No comments:

Post a Comment