Viglinks

Saturday, March 28, 2020

Driving in the rain and snow with a girlfriend in Russia

 The Ural used to be a soviet bike; a copy of the Germa Zundapp. It was a 750 cc model and I wonder if it is still made today. Way back I visited the Soviet Union. It has now broken up and the old Soviet state has ceased to exist. Anyway, those were the days when India was a great friend of the USSR and us from the IAF made frequent visits to Russia. I trained on the MIG class of planes and so visited Russia at least 30 times.


Over the visits, I became friends with the Russian NCO. She was a young girl and she was. attached to me as a gesture of good comradely with India. Her name? It really does not matter but Olga s a lovely name. One fine day I landed at the Russian base and as usual, asked, "Where is Olga?"
I got a reply, "; Here I am" as she stepped forward in a ponytail and cap with an NCO uniform.

 She looked lovely and I had half a desire to kiss her there and then, but reason took preponderance and so all I said,"come to my room, lots of things to be done."I had bought two pairs of jeans and shirts for her as these were scarce commodities in Russia. The next day the Colonel told us that we were going east to a Soviet base. I was dismayed but had no choice.  I boarded the aircraft and what a thrill Olga was there with her knapsack.

 We landed at the far eastern base and I went to my room in the officer's mess. I rang up Olga and told her to come to the guard room. I went and was at the guard room and sure enough, Olga came. She wore a heavy jacket as it was cold. Mind you Siberia can be pretty cold. I hugged her and said, "let' s run away on a bike.". At one end I saw a large Ural parked and I went up to the bike. I pumped it and it sputtered to life. I sat on it and put it in gear as Olga jumped on the real seat. We set out to nowhere. The bike was a military police bike and I wondered whether I had done the right thing in taking the bike. But what happens has to happen and soon full throttle we were into the woods. A fine rain began to fall and Olga noticed a small log hut. Maybe it was used by the Forest warden and we made a beeline for it.

 Inside it was better as the rain beat on the earth and an icy wind blew. What had to happen happened and Olga was in my arms: her heavy clothes were soon divested from her as I saw her as created by God. It was the hedonist and after many a time, we were warmed. She ran out in the rain. Gone crazy? I don't know. I followed her in the rain and then the rain and icy wind added its own dimension as I held Olga down on the wet grass. How long did this last? 2 days? Yes, two days and as I held Olga close sharing her warmth a loud sound and in entered the Soviet Military police.

They took us back and the AOC was livid he said, "what the fucks; running away with a Russian girl on an MP bike. You have the gall? I shall report  you to AHQ."  But the old foggy never made a report and the Russians friends as ever just winked at me. I remember the Russian colonel asking was it great fun?; Olga? We drifted apart, but that's another story


No comments:

Post a Comment